In order to support the growth in urban studies education and research at the Vrije Universiteit Brussels, we are advertising one full-time or multiple part-time senior teaching and research fellow positions for a period of three years, with an envisioned starting date of September 2020.
The hired candidate(s) is/are expected to become (an) active and collegial member(s) of the Cosmopolis Centre for Urban Research (www.cosmopolis.be) and the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies (www.urbanstudies.brussels), with teaching primarily situated in the Erasmus Mundus MSc 4Cities (www.4cities.eu) and the MSc Urban Studies (www.masterurbanstudies.eu). The fellowship contains both a teaching and research component with time allocated to developing a new research line in the domain of urban studies.
In particular, the fellow(s) in urban studies will be expected to:
- Coordinate and run a yearly week-long excursion for urban studies students and play a role in organizing day excursions in Brussels or neighbouring cities;
- Lead on or support the coordination of the Internship module, which also involves liaising with internship host organizations across Europe;
- Supervise theses in the field of interdisciplinary urban studies;
- Play an active role in co-designing original new course offer in qualitative or mixed methods for urban research, to be offered within the MSc Urban Studies and related MSc programmes;
- Depending on research profile and expertise, play a role in (co-)teaching course units in urban theory, European urban studies, the knowledge economy and/or financial geography;
- Develop a new research line in the domain of urban studies that is complimentary to existing research niches within the Cosmopolis Centre for Urban Research and the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies.
- Conduct research in the domain of urban studies, leading to relevant publication output and funding applications.
Not all tasks will necessarily be allocated to the fellow(s). The above list is indicative, and the exact allocation will depend on the profile and interests of the to be hired candidate(s).
- In possession of a PhD in urban studies or in a related and relevant discipline;
- Knowledge and expertise on key urban challenges and the state of urban studies, proven by relevant publication output and/or other research activities;
- Teaching track record in urban studies or a related field and ideally on master’s level;
- Excellent knowledge of English;
- Strong communicative and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Dutch, French and/or other languages;
- Considering the empirical and organisational focus of the MSc 4Cities and MSc Urban Studies, knowledge of the European urban and urbanization landscape.
Conditions of employment
This is a three-year full-time or part-time position. The selected candidate(s) will be hired as postdoctoral researcher(s) with teaching tasks.
Starting date: September 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Information and application
For more information about the position, contact Prof. Bas van Heur (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadline: 20 April 2020. Please submit to Bas van Heur your motivation letter and CV as well as contact details (no recommendation letters) of at least two people available for recommendations. Interviews (in Brussels or via Skype) with the shortlisted candidates will take place in the month of May or June.