We are looking for a senior research coordinator (PhD or equivalent research experience) with strong social and coordination skills, the enthusiasm and ambition to develop the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies into one of the leading centres for urban research within Europe, and a track record in assisting, initiating and writing funding applications.
In particular, the research coordinator will be expected to:
- Act as the day-to-day coordinator of the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies, in close collaboration with the Centre director and communication officer.
- Actively interact with the supervisory board members of the Centre as well as researchers from the various VUB member groups, organize board meetings, and initiate as well as assist in the writing of funding applications.
- Support the management and expansion of the international network, ranging from liaising with the international advisory board composed of members of other urban studies centres, initiating and assisting in the writing of consortium-based funding applications, and developing the visiting research fellowship programme.
- Expand the offer of the Brussels Graduate School for Urban Research as a key instrument to support VUB researchers and to attract early career researchers to the VUB, in close collaboration with the VUB Central PhD Office and R&D administration as well as external partners.
- Liaise with key partners in Brussels (in particular the BSI and urban research units at the ULB), and support and develop innovative public engagement activities in collaboration with the communication officer.
- Take responsibility for the financial and administrative management of new and ongoing research projects, fellowships, and events organized by the Centre.
- In possession of a PhD (or with equivalent experience) in urban studies or in a related and relevant discipline.
- Knowledge and expertise on key urban challenges and the state of urban studies, proven by relevant publication output and/or other research activities.
- Strong interpersonal and coordination skills, and the ambition to lead but also develop the Centre in collegial collaboration with others.
- Track record in assisting and/or initiating funding applications, experience with project coordination or involvement in consortium-based research projects.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Proficient in Dutch and French.
- Willingness to engage in limited research-oriented teaching in the MSc in Urban Studies or other programmes.
Conditions of employment
This is a five-year full-time position (including a probationary period), although part-time and work sharing options can be negotiated. Continuation of this position after five years is possible, but dependent on the successful acquirement of renewal funding. Starting date: 1 October 2019, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Information and application
For more information about the position, please contact the Centre director Prof. Bas van Heur (firstname.lastname@example.org). To apply, please use the VUB jobs website: https://jobs.vub.be/job/Elsene-Research-Coordinator/532014501/
Submit your motivation letter and CV as well as contact details of at least two people available for recommendations. Please also submit a copy of your application file via regular e-mail to Bas van Heur.
Application deadline: 15 June 2019. Interviews (in Brussels or via Skype) with the shortlisted candidates will take place in the first week of July.