We are looking for a part-time communication and design officer to develop a professional and innovative communication, design and public engagement strategy for the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies and related initiatives.
In particular, the communication and design officer will be expected to:
- Develop a coherent multi-year communication and design strategy for the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies and related initiatives.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various stakeholders, both external (press and media) and internal (e.g. marketing and communication department, R&D).
- Maintain and regularly update webpages, both on your own initiative and on the request of Centre members.
- Design and follow-up production of print as well as online materials (reports, flyers, posters, invitations, etc.).
- Lead on and contribute to the production and sending of digital newsletters and manage the various social media channels.
- Support visual registration (photography, video) of workshops, lectures and other events organized by the Centre.
- Engage in collaborations with the research coordinator and Centre members as well as designers, artists or other urban civic actors to produce new forms of research-led public engagement.
- Previous experience in communication and design activities.
- Strong graphic and webdesign skills
- Capacity to interact with a multiplicity of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines in an environment with limited supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- A fascination for cities and urban life, and an interest in (and preferably knowledge of) urban studies.
- Photography and video editing skills.
- Proficient in Dutch and French.
- Willingness to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
Conditions of employment
This is a five-year part-time position (including a probationary period), with the percentage and remuneration dependent on skills and experience. Continuation of this position after five years is possible, but dependent on the successful acquirement of renewal funding. Starting date: 1 October 2019, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Information and application
For more information about the position, please contact the Centre director Prof. Bas van Heur (email@example.com). To apply, please use the VUB jobs website: https://jobs.vub.be/job/Elsene-Communication-and-design-officer/532121301/
Submit your motivation letter, CV and portfolio, as well as contact details of at least two people available for recommendations. Please also submit a copy of your application file via regular e-mail to Bas van Heur.
Application deadline: 15 June 2019. Interviews (in Brussels or via Skype) with the shortlisted candidates will take place in the first week of July.